Cosmic Gem Warriors
Come join Cosmic Gem Warriors today!
Cosmic Gem Warriors
Come join Cosmic Gem Warriors today!
Cosmic Gem Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Steven Universe forum

HomeWelcome!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Steven Universe Week?
Jasper Discussion Emptyby Jimmydoritoman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 21:07

» Heyy
Jasper Discussion Emptyby RadBrostache Thu 22 Oct 2015, 22:52

» Nightmare Hospital [There will be Spoilers]
Jasper Discussion Emptyby PinkSapphire Mon 14 Sep 2015, 06:08

» Hiatus Ends September 10th!
Jasper Discussion Emptyby Pearl Fri 04 Sep 2015, 04:46

» Hallo! (Hello!)
Jasper Discussion Emptyby PinkSapphire Thu 03 Sep 2015, 03:57

» ayyyy
Jasper Discussion Emptyby SombreUmbreon Tue 01 Sep 2015, 06:50

» Steven Universe Tattoo
Jasper Discussion Emptyby Rose Quartz Fri 21 Aug 2015, 20:50

» Admin on LOA
Jasper Discussion Emptyby Rose Quartz Fri 21 Aug 2015, 20:47

» SU Hiatus Extended to September
Jasper Discussion Emptyby PinkSapphire Sat 15 Aug 2015, 14:41

Similar topics
  • » PearlRose Discussion
  • » Lapis Lazuli Discussion
  • April 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    CalendarCalendar

Jasper Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Rose Quartz

Founder
    Members Diamond

Rose Quartz
    FounderMembers Diamond

Title : Pink Space Mom
    Gemosas : 497
    Favourite Gems : Pearl, Garnet, Ruby, Lapis Lazuli, Rose Quartz

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 14:34

Not going to lie; right now I don't like Jasper and I don't get why everyone does. To me, at this current time, I don't think she's even a slightly fleshed out villain - she's just a brute. And I don't know why everyone loves that or tries to make her cute with the whole "big buff cheeto puff" thing. She wants to destroy Steven and the Crystal Gems as a brute. That's it. And everyone loves it. Meanwhile, Pearl shows flaws, relatable flaws, and everyone is up in arms. I don't get it.

But while that's said, obviously there are Jasper fans. I am curious to see what you guys have to say about Jasper - perhaps you can help me understand more.
    Back to top Go down
    https://cosmicgemwarriors.forumotion.com
    PinkSapphire

Bubble Gem

PinkSapphire
    Bubble Gem

Title : PGSM Addict and Fan Fic Writer
    Gemosas : 119
    Favourite Gems : Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, Lapis Lazuli, Sapphire

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 15:04

Yeah, I agree. I don't like her either. She feels like a stereotypical villain who hates everyone and wants to destroy everyone. I'd like to see more depth to her, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting those anytime soon. And yeah, I agree, what is with Pearl having flaws getting backlash? Does everyone want perfect little Mary Sues as characters in everything now? I try to give my characters relatable flaws as well, but people call me ableist and offensive for doing so...or something like that.
    Back to top Go down
    ImperialTopaz

Bubble Gem

ImperialTopaz
    Bubble Gem

Title : Knight in Topaz Armor
    Gemosas : 19
    Favourite Gems : Garnet, Opal, Lapis Lazuli, Stevonnie

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 15:43

Sometimes people just enjoy seeing a jerk as a villain, no redeeming traits needed. I think Jasper is so over the top that she becomes entertaining to watch. A character doesn't necessarily have to have depth to be fun to see rampaging around. I relate Jasper to characters like the T-rex from Jurrassic Park. It's okay to have a static character sometimes. XD

I don't think she's a good person at all, but I like it when she shows up because she gets into fights and causes conflicts. And she does know Rose so Jasper is clearly hiding some info...
    Back to top Go down
    Rose Quartz

Founder
    Members Diamond

Rose Quartz
    FounderMembers Diamond

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 15:51

XD of course, but even for just a jerk villain, she still doesn't strike me as that great like everyone makes her out to be.
    Back to top Go down
    SpacePirates

Moderator Diamond

SpacePirates

Title : SCREECH
    Gemosas : 68
    Favourite Gems : Peridot, Lapis, Garnet, Alexandrite

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 16:05

Thanks to Chille Tid, I no longer dislike Jasper. I don't know if anybody else saw things the way I did there, but something about Jasper's expression and actions in the Malachite Realm made me see a side of her that otherwise hasn't even been remotely hinted at. I'm waiting for more information before I can confidently explain what I saw there.

Though, I'm still convinced that she will never be a real good guy. The only way I could see her being in the future if she doesn't die or remain a villain is some sort of chaotic neutral character.
    Back to top Go down
    ImperialTopaz

Bubble Gem

ImperialTopaz
    Bubble Gem

Title : Knight in Topaz Armor
    Gemosas : 19
    Favourite Gems : Garnet, Opal, Lapis Lazuli, Stevonnie

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 16:09

People latch onto all sorts of characters, and just as many people hate Jasper as others like her. I don't think she's a particularly popular one or anything. It might just be a tumblr thing XD. I also think she's the first really villainous character the show had, more so than Peridot and Lapis because she was very active in fighting the Crystal Gems when she first appears, and openly wants to capture/destroy them. And as the first major bad guy that's not a mindless corrupted gem or some other antagonistic, she going to garner a lot of attention until someone else tops her. 

And I agree with the Malachite thing, Jasper's going to get some backstory or depth pretty soon through that, even if she never stops being a villain.
    Back to top Go down
    Rose Quartz

Founder
    Members Diamond

Rose Quartz
    FounderMembers Diamond

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptyMon 22 Jun 2015, 16:20

SpacePirates wrote:
    Thanks to Chille Tid, I no longer dislike Jasper. I don't know if anybody else saw things the way I did there, but something about Jasper's expression and actions in the Malachite Realm made me see a side of her that otherwise hasn't even been remotely hinted at. I'm waiting for more information before I can confidently explain what I saw there.

Though, I'm still convinced that she will never be a real good guy. The only way I could see her being in the future if she doesn't die or remain a villain is some sort of chaotic neutral character.

I'm very interested in hearing about this!
    Back to top Go down
    Opal

Roleplay Diamond

Opal
    Roleplay Diamond

Gemosas : 98
    Favourite Gems : garnet, lapis, pearl, amethyst

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion EmptySat 11 Jul 2015, 00:34

well, i mean, there's already the fact that she's not on the CGs side. so she's automatically cast as a villain. but i think there's more to her than that. like peridot, she's a gem who wasn't around when rose quartz and the CGs rebelled against homeworld. she knows what she's been told, and what you're taught, especially as a warrior like jasper clearly is, influences your actions. so her antagonism towards steven and the rest is kind of intrinsic.

jasper is a great villain-type character, from her tension with the CGs and her outright 'disapproval' of garnet and her consistent fusion-self; to her tension with her own 'partner' of sorts, peridot. there's tension in their interactions as well, and i think that speaks to both peridot and jasper as characters.

as far as i see peridot and jasper's relationship, both are unsure of where they stand in this battle between the homeworld and earth (jasper more so, she's trapped in limbo with lapis). jasper is peridot's superior, though she also has been seen to directly speak to (yellow diamond).

idk. i really like both jasper and peridot. they kind of remind me of a less stable team rocket :p
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Jasper Discussion Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Jasper Discussion   Jasper Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Jasper Discussion
    View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1